28 June 2024

RSPCA WA Inspector Florence Maude has been reunited with two of the eight French bulldogs she rescued from an Eastern suburbs puppy farm in 2022 as the charity makes a final push for donations before the end of the financial year.

Oreo and Gizmo, along with their new owners, were met by Inspector Maude at RSPCA WA in what was a touching moment for the inspector as she reflected on the situation she first found them in.

Confined to cages, sitting in their own faeces, Oreo, Gizmo and six other French bulldogs were being used in a puppy farm in Wattle Grove.

Five of the dogs could be nursed back to health by the RSPCA’s vet team, however, for three of them their conditions were so bad that they could not be saved.

Inspector Maude said she could have cried she was so happy to see Oreo and Gizmo healthy and thriving with their new owners.

“The awful smell of the puppy farm could be smelt from the street, and I knew before stepping inside that the conditions were going to be bad,” she said.

“The dogs were deformed in a way that their spines were arching upwards. They could barely walk more than a few metres without becoming tired and having to sit down and they had pressure sores from living on the wire.

“I am so grateful to have had the opportunity now to see them again, give them a cuddle, and see just how loved they are after the horrible beginning to life they had.”

The six surviving French bulldogs from this puppy farm case spent more than a year in the RSPCA’s care before being well enough to be adopted.

Their combined vet bills alone came to over $100,000.

Last year, RSPCA WA inspectors investigated over 7000 cases of animal cruelty across the state.

The RSPCA relies heavily on generous donations to respond to these cases, just like the one involving Oreo and Gizmo, with 80 per cent of the charity’s funds coming from supporters.

If you would like to support RSPCA WA to continue rescuing more dogs like Oreo and Gizmo please consider making a tax-deductible donation here before 30 June.

The charity is desperately trying to raise $318,000 before the end of the financial year to keep the inspectors on the road.