About us Inspectors and Legislation Titus Lander held this position until 1911 when he was elected to Parliament for the Labor-held seat of East Perth, later presenting the first animal welfare bill in Parliament. He also established a Lethal Chamber at his Highgate house in 1907, in order to ensure stray cats and dogs were put down humanely instead of roaming and scavenging, facing further pain and misery. A second RSPCA Inspector, Lachlan Bates, was appointed in 1906 to work the Eastern Goldfields. The authority of RSPCA Inspectors today is much stronger than that of their counterparts in the early days as a result of changes to laws governing the Society. These original laws were the Police Act (55th Vict.) and the Dog Act (47th Vict.) which saw maximum penalties for animal cruelty set at £10 or three months imprisonment. These laws also required RSPCA Inspectors to be accompanied by police officers to enter properties or make arrests as they did not hold those powers themselves. The first Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act (WA) passed in 1912 and was updated in 1920. The Dog Act (WA) was introduced in 1976 to amend and consolidate the law relating to the control and registration of dog ownership. In 1980, the RSPCA advised dog ear tattoos for easier identification and also suggested that maximum penalties for animal cruelty be increased through the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act. The Animal Welfare Advisory Committee (WA) was instituted in 1988.